Monday, July 10, 2006

Of Football and Yearbooks

So I'm sitting here at 3am on a school night. Doing what you ask? Watching the World Cup of course! As Yane mentioned, 'even Thompson watches'. Hey, it happens only once every four years, so I think this justifies me staying awake til 4am on a school night (I'm not into the olympics). Heck, we're even allowed to go to school later at 9.30am. Football (or soccer, whatever) is, seriously speaking, the only sport that pervades world culture so drastically (this is what happens when you do too many English compres) . You don't see people go this hysterical over a sport like billiards. I mean, can you imagine Mr Maran announcing a school holiday cos of the snooker championships so we can watch some guy use a stick to hit balls? It's worse than golf! (erm, this is just my view, if you happen to like pool[or golf] don't come after me with your stick)

I must admit it's already the 84th min, and I haven't really been watching. But I can see the TV from here, that counts right. I can even tell you the score! It's still 1-1. At least I can hear the crowd cheer when someone scores. Strangely I'm rooting for France to win, though I don't really know why. Must be the sneaky Italians and their weird names.

Ok enough about soccer. You can read more about the matches here and here. The Commemorative Yearbook is out! Finally! I didn't do much this time though, played more the role of an slacker advisor. But why isn't my face there! GAH! I didn't stay back til 6pm for DAYS to have NO RECOGNITION WHATSOEVER. Although the others sure have done alot more than me.... I didn't really do much advising, now that I think about it. More along the lines of 'peeking over the shoulder and asking "what's that?"' Haven't flipped through it yet though. Helped Mr Khoo carry hundreds of the books (it's hardcover ok, it's well worth your $15). Ahh so near yet so far.... I could feel the book at my fingertips, but that.. that... Mr Khoo didn't let me have a look. Hmph. (hey no goal yet. Yay for penalty shootout)

I've officially joined the study group! I now stay back everyday in school til about 6pm to mug! O levels are coming ya know. Studying with Yane and Adri after lunch at the regular places(Bedok, Parkway, Katong Laksa etc), with the occasional interruption by a particularly deranged George Teo. It does have it's moments (like when George took my iPod and ran away. Piece of...)

Going for a movie tonight with Mr Khoo and the mature people from our History class (it's an NC-16 movie lah, sorry Leslie, wait for the next PG-13 one). It's called 4:30 by Royston Tan. Saw the trailer, and it does look.....weird. (Wanted to post a picture, but damn blogspot doesn't work. The boy looks like the one from Ju-on. Scary~) I'm going more out of curiosity than anything else. And I hope I get stuck at Orchard til 12am again. It's peacefully tranquil, like a graveyard, but decorated with designer goods and ang mohs instead of the usual gravestones.

Will have to slug through another day of school before watching the movie though. I'll probably fall asleep during a certain class that's Good for Sleeping Soundly. Back to World Cup then. Byee.